A lot of people say that music is their life; for trombonist and vocalist Ron Wilkins, it’s the absolute truth.
In 2020, Ron came down with COVID while traveling and went into a medically induced coma. Doctors predicted the worst, and much to everyone’s delight and amazement, he woke up 36 days later. The condition had not affected his lungs, largely due to his years of playing trombone, euphonium, tuba, and bass trumpet. Music had literally saved Ron’s life, and once he was awake, he couldn’t wait to play his horn.
The result of Ron’s profound sense of ambition and renewal is his current release Trombocalist, an ambitious collection of songs that dynamically showcase his strengths as a composer, low brass instrumentalist, and singer. Ron approaches his craft with equal parts vigor, class, and humor
throughout the release’s ten tracks, from the piping hot “Love For Sale”, to the sultry “My Foolish Heart”, to the witty and absolutely hilarious
“In The Land Of Ob-La-Di”.
Ron has played with the likes of Dizzy Gillespie, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Lena Horne, and The Count Basie Orchestra, has toured in Broadway shows including “The Lion King”, “West Side Story”, “Motown”, “Frozen”, and “Book Of Mormon”, and has performed as a member of the Birdland Big Band, the Dizzy Gillespie Big Band, and his own New York City big band, which he runs alongside trombonist Rebecca Patterson. He also has an esteemed history as an educator, teaching at such institutions as University of Texas at San Antonio, University of Incarnate Ward, and Texas State University, teaching jazz studies, low brass instrumentation, and vocal training.
Ron’s excitement to create anew is a treasure to be enjoyed. Jazz fanatics and music appreciators the world over would do well to get their hands on his new release and enjoy the deft stylings of the master ‘Trombocalist’.
- Lil’ Pipsqueak (Ron Wilkins, 4:33)
- My Foolish Heart (Victor Young, 7:35)
- In The Land Of Ooh Bia Dee (Mary Lou Williams, 4: 16)
- Love For Sale (Cole Porter, 6:43)
- Waltz For Debbie (Bill Evans, 6:39)
- Gimme That Wine (Jon Hendricks, 4:58)
- Spring In Bennett Park (Becca Patterson, 4:30)
- Padre Island (Ron Wilkins, 6:53)
- Blues For Becca Bass Bone (Becca Patterson, 5:44)
- Rid in’ The Trane (Ron Wilkins, 7: 13)
MC Promotion – Michael Carlson
(360) 598-3044 | firstname.lastname@example.org
OurGig.com – Frank Moten
(305) 604-5256 | email@example.com